I’m riding the Emmy’s train all week this week and I wanted to post about my favorite moments, so here we go!
1. Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Brian Cranston – This bit was AWESOME. There’s not a time that I watch that episode of Seinfield with Bryan and I don’t think about whether the two of them are friendly now. They both really went for it, and it was worth it, one of the best moments of the night.
2. Seth Myers as host – Because I am a complete nerd for and lover of Saturday Night Live, I do love Seth Myers. However, following Jimmy Fallon’s late show hasn’t been great for him, and the show has been sort of lacking and VERY slow IMHO. It’s getting better but still – eh. So I was very nervous for how he would do as the Emmy’s host, but he knocked it out of the park. His monologue was really funny, and not uncomfortably mean to anyone in the audience. His bits with his friends in the audience – Jon Hamm, Melissa McCarthy, Fred Armisan and of course Amy Poehler – were really funny worked well. And his introductions were great, especially the MESSING PARSONS joke. Overall, I think a job REALLY well done.
3. Matthew McConaughy and Woody Harrelson – Even if they look like they just stepped out of the Roxbury, they were charming and adorable, and who cares about the pot jokes?? They were perfect together and it made me so happy and then furious that A) They won’t be in season 2 of True Detective and B) TRUE DETECTIVE DIDN’T WIN ANYTHING, considering it was SO much better than the stupid finale episodes of Breaking Bad, which were just more and more of the same.
4. Billy Eichner’s on the street with Seth – I usually don’t find “Billy on the Street” that funny, but this was really great.
5. And of course, Andy Samberg just in general, making that face, as the poisoned King Joffrey.
Some other thoughts –
What was with all the wins for Sherlock?? And none of those people were even there!
I’ve ranted about Breaking Bad before – and how I found it to be very misogynistic, repetitive, and overhyped – but were they just giving it awards because it was the last season? Because realistically, it wasn’t all that great or different from the other seasons and on top of that, True Detective was SO much better!
Won’t even get in to “Modern Family‘s Reign of Terror” (as NY MAG Matt Zoller Seitz so affably coined it), but it’s getting ridiculous. It’s good, but it’s not THAT MUCH BETTER than everyone other show nominated, 5 years in a row.
Anyway what did you think? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for reading!