If you’re looking for a great superbowl party appetizer that’s not the fattest thing you’ve ever put in your mouth but still is tasty, try these pinwheels with sundried tomato pesto, or pizza pinwheels. Only a few ingredients are needed
- Pillsbury croissant rolls
- Sundried tomato pesto (several great brands are available at Whole Foods, Eataly, or the Giada brand at Target)
If you want to make your own sundried tomato pesto (which I highly recommend), get some sundried tomatoes (jarred or fresh), lots of olive oil, basil, salt, pine nuts if you can, and parmesan cheese in a food processor. It might take a while and a few runs in the processor, but it’s worth it!
- Tomato sauce, pepperoni, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
(Even though the Pillsbury Pizza crust is pictured, this recipe works best with the croissant rolls.)
- The croissant rolls will come out of the tube in twos, so lay each two out flat.
- Spread the sundried tomato pesto, or pizza ingredients on each set of two rolled out croissants
- Roll the ingredients up tightly as pictured in the second picture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for almost 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Test the middle when they are done with a toothpick to see if it is still soft or raw. If so let bake for another 5 minutes.
- Once they are completely baked and have cooled, slice into thin pieces. Some people prefer to cut them before baking, but I find they are easier to handle and cut when they have already been baked.